Is your school right for your family? You cannot answer this question within the first week or month of school; however, over time you will get a sense whether your child and you are happy with the education she or he is receiving.
Your answers to the following questions will help you determine whether the school is a good fit for your child and your family. At the end of the first semester, ask these questions to determine whether this is the right school for you, or if it is time to search for a new school.
- Do you feel that your child is safe?
- Is your child excited to go to school in the mornings?
- Is your child is happy at the end of the school day?
- Does your child have energy at the end of the school day?
- Do you see that your child is making academic progress?
- Do the teachers regularly talk to you about your child’s progress?
- Do you see that your child is improving her/his social skills?
- Do you like spending time at the school?
- Are the facilities clean?
- Do the teachers manage the students’ behavior well?
- Ca your budget handle the school’s costs?
If your answers are primarily positive, then you are lucky and have found a school that meets your child’s and your family’s needs. If your answers were mixed or primarily negative, it may be time to find another school. If you are worried about only a few of these issues, talk to the teacher and/or director about your concerns. They will most likely be receptive and adapt their teaching approach to improve the education your child is receiving.